Thursday, June 9, 2011

New Post

I couldn't think of  a good title, so go with a generic one.  My brain is preoccupied with writing this post, and watching "So You Think You Can Dance".  I love the show, mainly because I really can't dance, not well, so I live vicariously through the ones who can. 
So, I actually have been busy with school, work, and of course quilting!  I purposely get up 3 hours before I have to be anywhere so I can get my sewing time in.  I have been steadily working on quilting the Trail Mix quilt that I showed in the last post.  I hope to have that done by this time next week, and I'll post a picture then.  I also finished this top:
Here I am squaring up the top to 15 1/2 inches. 
this red is what I chose for the border-it's a M'Liss fabric and I love it!
before borders

after inner border added

with the outer border added
I can't wait to quilt this!  I want to do all kinds of neat designs, etc,  deciding is so hard!
Since in my last post I mentioned the other quilt tops I had waiting to quilt, I decide to dig around, and take pictures of them, so here they are:
This Drunkard's Path I did not too long ago, with bias edging, I used a lot of scraps for this one!

A scrappy string top

Got this top at a guild meeting, they had several tops, but I fell in love with this one, I love the fabrics.

Sad thing is, I remember buying the fabric for this, but I don't remember hand piecing and appliqueing this!

I love the twist and turn of this one.

put together a bunch of blocks I won in the my guild's block drawings.

I copied the design from a picture of a quilt I just wanted to make.  My mom wants this when it's done.

this is a reproduction top of one I received from my aunt a couple of years ago.  When I got the original top in the mail, I cried right there.  The top is not in shape to be quilted, but I wanted to make one like it, so I matched the color as much as I could. 
the history behind this quilt is it is my independence quilt.  I made this when I was first splitting with my ex-husband 13 years ago, and it keep me sane at a time that I really needed it. I had 4 kids ages 3 months up to 6 years, so I needed to keep my sanity.  It was a cover quilt for Quilt Magazine.  I hand dyed the blue, yellow, and green fabrics. 
I have a tip for today.  On one of the yahoo groups I belong to, (I belong to about 6-7), someone mentioned going to Harbor Freight, and getting carpet cutting blades, they work just like rotary blades.  I went one day when I was in Melbourne for class, and they were on  sale for $1.49 for 2!  I bought just about every package they had! 
I love them!  I find they work just as well as the ones you buy at the quilt shop, just less expensive.  Some people think they get dull too quick, but I have a tendency to nick them on the rulers (I'm a klutz), so they don't last long enough to get dull.


Oh, and before I forget, here is a new picture of the little monster "aka" Hiro.  He starts puppy classes next week, we need to corral him a bit.  I love his ears though, they are the biggest things on him!

11 comments:

  1. wanted to see if this would work now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that red border on the recently finished top. It's gorgeous. Definitely planning on borrowing that idea.

    You are quite versatile in your designs. Mine kind of look the same time after time. It's always a pleasant surprise to see your latest work.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete