Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Chicago Pavement

So, this morning, I was perusing some of my older quilting magazines, and came across this one:
This is Country Quilts, Fall 1993.  I fell in love with the cover quilt, called Chicago Pavement.  I just had to make it, today! ( We all know that feeling, don't we?) So, I started cutting some fabrics:
I needed 9  two and a half inch squares of tone on tone white (or whatever lighter color I wanted- I just really like tone on tone white fabric, and have lots of it), and 4 two and a half inch colored squares.  I then cut triangles ala Bonnie Hunter, who showed how to use the easy angle ruler and really made things easier for me:
I cut two and half inch strips of the colored fabric, and then cut it, using the 2 1/2 inch line:
After I had everything cut, I went ahead and laid it out:
Here is the first one I did:
The original blocks came out to 12 inches finished size, mine finish out to 6 inches unfinished.  I wanted them to be smaller, I really want to use a lot of different fabrics.  I'm going to try to do a couple of blocks a day, at least, but we'll see how things go.  The new sewing room is clear down the hall, the fabric and quilting machine are back the other way, so I am definitely getting my exercise going from one to the other :).  I do need it though, the holidays added up in more ways then one, that's for sure!
On the Easy Street front, the top is done and awaiting borders.
I love it.  It's so much bigger than I thought it would be!  I found a purple and turquoise fabric in my stash that seems to work, so I'll hopefully get that done today.  Depends on how much time I have after the kids get home.
 I hope everyone has a great day,
Happy Quilting,
Marianne





No comments:

Post a Comment