Saturday, January 26, 2013

Too long between posts

I honestly didn't realize how long it had been between posts- almost a month! How time flies.  I have been sewing a lot, and lots of homework.  But also, people have been dropping like flies around me with the flu and now the norovirus.  I have bottles of hand sanitizer at home and at work, and my hands are dry from washing so much.  Argh! Hopefully everyone will be better soon.

So, I have done a few things like:
Made the cover for my dress form dummy so I can make clothes to fit me properly. By the time I got done adjusting, padding, etc, I realized I am larger than I think I am.  Time to exercise.
I have now made 45 of the Chicago Pavement blocks.  Enough to make 2 different twin size quilts.
I am going to make both on point, but one with alternate solid blocks, and the other will be all chicago pavement blocks.  Can't wait to get them done.

Can you see how dirty this ruler is? I got some of the basting spray on it- does anyone know how to clean it off? I tried soap and water, and no go.  It's no longer sticky at least , because it's picked up lint, etc.
I think I may try rubbing alcohol tomorrow and see if that works.  I don't want to scrub, that would wear the markings off. It's one of my favorite rulers, so I'll do what I can.

Cute little monkey block for my nephew's quilt.  This child will have so many quilts before too long.  Good thing they live in northern Montana, they can really use them.

This is my Easy Street top with the first border I decided on.  The top picture show the right and the wrong side of the fabric.  I decided to use the wrong side, I just liked it a bit better.  If you look at the piece on the right, there are gold dots all over the right side, it just didn't work.  The wrong side has a mottled look, and works so much better.  I am so hoping to get this top done, and in the pile of quilt tops to be quilted.  The pile that seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

If all of that on my plate wasn't enough, I also have started going through some of my scraps, and cutting them down into usable pieces, then putting them into bins and buckets.  The smallest size I am cutting down to is 1-1/2 inches.  I have only started, and have a lot more to go.  18 totes and 19 years worth to be precise.  I figure by the time I move in just over a year, I may have them done. :)We'll see, I am trying to do at least 15-20 minutes a day. 
This doesn't help though, does it?  I went to our local Hancock fabrics sale last weekend, and picked up a few things.  Sigh- the fabric diet got blown. Big time.  But see the yellow in the bottom?  The really pretty one?  Originally $8.99 a yard- got all 10 3/4 yards for .64 cents a yard! Yep, I told the sales clerk to just keep unrolling to the end, I would take all. I figure this fabric will be showing up in a lot of quilts and doll clothes, toddler dresses, etc, for years to come.  I really like it, it's a pretty print.  Oh, and some Christmas prints too, to add to the pile from previous years.  I will get a Christmas quilt done one day- it only took 8 years to finally do a Halloween one, at least the holidays come around every year, I have time! That's my story and I am sticking to it.
I hope everyone has a great weekend, I will be spending it away from the sick people sewing away.  They usually leave me alone if I am sewing, they seem to have an aversion to it.  Oh, if only one of my kids would show an interest- but then I would have to share my fabric-never mind then.  LOL.
Happy quilting,

No comments:

Post a Comment