Monday, May 2, 2011

Finally finished!

It's finally finished! After about 5 years, I finally finished my Rose Wreath quilt. 
 It is very large. My frame only goes up to a queen size, and this was pushing it! 

detail of crosshatching in borders.

detail of feathered wreath.      


 I had never really done feathers, at least not wreath feathers, or ruler work before.  I think I am hooked!  It was so much fun,  I can't wait to do it again. I have several quilts that would look great with some old-fashioned detail work.  

Now, onto my problem frame.  I broke 2 more take up pins within the last 4 inches of quilting.  I kid you not.  I have 1 more spare part out of the 4 they sent me.  I am extremely disappointed in this one particular part of the frame.  Otherwise, I love it.  It's sturdy and solid, and very well built, but for that one piece.  So, I went about trying to find a way to fix the part on my own, rather than calling the company again for a part that will probably break again.  I went to my second home-the hardware store.  (My dad worked at an Ace Hardware for over 30 years, so hardware stores are one of my favorite stores, behind quilting shops, and bookstores)  Anyway, I picked up these: 
These are flat shelf pins.  I drilled a hole where the plastic take up pin broke off,and inserted it:
 The only problem is it's a little too tall, so I removed the cover off the top.  It works though, and that's the most important thing.  I also did this:

 I got some 5 inch high bed risers and raised the frame up several inches, because I am 5' 9", and my back was getting to hurting.  It also seems to have fixed my leveling problem for now.  
Until later, have a great day, 
Marianne

1 comment:

  1. Very nice job on the rose quilt. I remember when you brought that top for Show & Tell. I hope no one is keeping track of my time line from quilt top to finished quilt!

    Nice job on the pics of the "fabric" from Goodwill. I clicked on them and saw the fabric up close and personal. I really like that orange piece.

    Deb Clements

    ReplyDelete