Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Orca Bay done!

I finally got my orca bay mystery top done.  I love it, and can't wait to see it quilted. It will be a while thought, due to work, and my last semester in school.  Yes, I am in the last part of my program, and will graduate this summer.  Yippee!  I have been working towards this slowly for the last 3-4 years.  Little bits here and there. 
Ok, so here is Orca Bay without borders:
Then here is with borders added:
I find myself looking at it, trying to figure out the best design to quilt on it.  I think a quick allover design would be best, because of the scrappy look to it.  I used a lot of scraps in this, and yet they seemed to multiply, and left me with more than I started with.  So, I dove into another scrappy project I have been working on off and on:
About 20 rows done, a lot more to go.

2 inch cut strips.

sewn strips, then subcut, just waiting to be sewn into rows.
This is my version of of a Postage Stamp quilt.  I do a bit at a time, it's my go-to project when I finish one thing, and can't figure out what to do next.  I'll work on it for a few days, then put it aside for a while.  Anybody else have a project like that?
I also have to figure out a quick and easy pattern for a donation quilt.  This semester is our community service semester, and I am doing a quilt to donate to a fundraiser, we are raising money for feeding hunger in our county.  Central Florida has a lot of people, especially families, that are homeless right now, or are teetering on the edge, and when you are struggling, food is hard to afford.  Especially with the price of everything going up every time we turn around.  So, any little bit helps.  I am thinking a simple 9 patch, or variation of it.  I'm going to look through some books and magazines tomorrow, and see what I come up with. 
Well, it's quite late (almost 2 in the morning here), so I am going to attempt to go back to sleep. Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!
Happy quilting,
Marianne



2 comments:

  1. Your quilt came out awesome! Did you notice that you have one piece on the bottom row, black block that is turned? The white is going into the black square. I still have pieces to make and then get it put together. I found my pieces were not fitting properly so had to redo some of them. I cannot wait to get to this point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous quilt. I love scrappy quilts. Though I do not have anywhere enough red to do something like this. Though you do say that the scraps seem to be multiplying. Maybe I should put a few red scraps in a box, and then come back in a week - there might be just enough to get started by then.

    You do great work, Marianne.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete